Monday, August 22, 2011

If I Could Only Eat 5 Foods... (#5)

I was recently presented with the question from a classmate: "If you could only eat 5 foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?"  Granted, this is a totally impractical question, it's still fun to think about what foods you absolutely love to eat and couldn't go without.  After much thinking (literally 2 weeks of just thinking about this question and constantly revising my list), I think I've come to a final top 5 list.  I'll be posting them for the next few days (in ascending order of importance).  Feel free to comment with your own top 5 list - I'll have to warn you, though - it takes a bit of time to think about it.  Here it goes.

5.  Soymilk
Cup of soymilk at a small restaurant called Yong He Dou Jiang in Shanghai, China.  They sold good breakfast / snack food.

Soymilk is simply a staple in my diet - it's a drink I can have pretty much at any time of the day.  But I do particularly enjoy it with my breakfast, whether it be with my bowl of cereal, accompanying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with some sao bing / you tiao (Chinese breakfast foods), with some other Chinese pastry, or just by itself, it's just a delicious drink that always seems to hit the spot.  Plus, you can drink it hot OR cold and it still tastes just as good.  Of course, I prefer the Chinese variety, probably because it's sweeter and it's what I grew up drinking.  I was so happy when I found out that they sold a cup of soymilk on the streets of China for 1.5 yuan or less (about 15 to 20 US cents).

Cup of soymilk from the streets of China - I want to say this is in Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment