Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oregon Coast Surfing

John and Jackie put together a weekend trip to the Oregon coast, because they have become big fans of the area and the surfing.  They were nice enough to invite Tina and I to join them, but Tina couldn't make it.  Tina was busy at work all weekend, so I figured my time may be better spent checking out a new place.  It was a decision well-made.  A few other of John and Jackie's friends went, and it made for a good trip.


This was a beach near Gearhart, a town near Seaside, Oregon.  The beach was very close to the house we rented, and you could drive your car on the beach.  I had never driven in a car on the beach, so that was a neat experience for me.  One of John's friends who had a Land Rover let us all take his car for a ride.  It was pretty cool.


We spent the first evening out here watching the sun set.


The sun setting.



The second day was spent surfing in the frigid waters of Oregon.  It was so hot that day (90+ degrees), but the water was still freezing.  I had to wear a wet suit, but they didn't give us gloves, so my hands were numb after about 15 seconds.  I guess I got used to it after a while, but it was a huge contrast from NC beaches.  Our surf spot was at Oswald West State Park in Smuggler Cove, also known as Short Sands (I think?).  It was a cove, so there were rock cliffs on both sides of the beach, which provided excellent scenery while sitting out in the water waiting to catch a wave.  The waves weren't huge, but that was probably better, since I'm still no expert at surfing.  It was tiring and freezing, but a lot of fun.


We also stopped by Cannon Beach, with the somewhat-famous haystack rocks.  We only stopped for a few photos, though.  We were surfed out from earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment