Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Road Trip USA! (Part 1 of 6, Cary, NC to Bloomington, IN)

I have unfortunately admitted defeat on my 365 Project: Stuff Tim Eats.  I got a lot farther than I had anticipated, and even made it through all of Europe (which wasn't hard, because we ate so many good things).  But once I got back from Europe, I think the craziness of packing for Seattle and planning for my cross-country trip de-railed me, and created a gaping 4-day hole in my picture-taking routine.  And I've come to terms with the fact that no one really kept up with it besides Tina and I anyways.

So, in consolation, I have decided to go ahead and update this blog with what has happened since Europe, mainly highlighting the food, of course.  Come join my brother and I on a fascinating ride across the great United States of America as I venture from my humble of roots of barbecue-eating, sweet tea-drinking North Carolina to begin a new chapter in the rainy city of Seattle.  Trust me, it's more exciting than it sounds.

We began our journey bright and early on a Tuesday, with every square inch of my car packed with stuff to bring to my new apartment.  Our destination for the day's trip was Bloomington, Indiana, where our once-student, now-working cousin resides.




Along the way?  We ate, of course.  Using my recently-bought book Road Food, we found a place called Stewart's Original Hot Dogs in Huntington, WV.  You can click the link to read my Yelp review, amongst others.  Needless to say, the book's first recommendation passed our test of whether it was a legitimate book to use.  My first test was finding Allen & Son Bar-B-Que featured in the book (along with Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen).  Ok, blah blah too many words by now, I doubt most of you have even read this far.  So on to the photos.


They bring the dogs right to your window!


Hot dog with chili, onions, slaw, ketchup.  How it ought to be.  Their chili was on point.


After some dogs for lunch, we trucked our way through the back-roads of Indiana, the land of corn, corn husks, and husks of corn.  And your occasional barnyard basketball goal.  We finally reached our destination for the day, Bloomington, IN.  It was a nice little college town that was in hibernation during the summer season.  But we still met with our cousin Janice and had some awesome Korean BBQ at Mama's Restaurant.  I had never cooked over hot coals like that before, but it was definitely a fun and delicious experience.


Various meats on the grill.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment