Monday, June 13, 2011

First Tastes of Maine

Arriving in Maine, I was ready to eat some lobster from the get-go.  Prior to driving up here, I did some research on places to eat on the way up.  Even though I was still contently full from my brunch at The Friendly Toast in Boston, I was ready to chow on some world-famous Maine lobster.

My first stop was Maine Diner in Wells, ME.  Naturally, I ordered their lobster roll.  It was pretty good.  The lobster was excellent, but the price was questionable (see below).  Five ounces of fresh lobster meat on a toasted hot dog bun.  Initially, it seemed too simple to me - I mean, lobster on a bun?  And that's all the rave in Maine?  But the lobster meat does make all the difference - it was obviously fresh and oh-so delicious.  Pour some melted butter over it, and it's hard to go wrong, regardless of what its on.  The pricing was a little more than I had expected, but I had to keep in mind that this place was a big deal in the travel books and was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on Food Network.  It's the Food Network effect - inflation of prices while sometimes even decreasing the quality of food.

Then headed to Kennebunkport, ME for some chowder at the Clam Shack.  Kennebunkport is evidently well-known for being the summer vacation spot for former president George H.W. Bush.  Some trivia in case you didn't want it.

The Clam Shack looked like a pretty legit place.  You ordered your food from a window, you'd get it in a paper box, then you'd find a bench or a place to eat it along the river bank.

I ordered the clam chowder and a fried clam cake.  The chowder was impressive.  Granted, it was my first time having clam chowder in New England - my previous experiences of clam chowder were limited to Campbell's and Golden Corral.  The fried clam cake was interesting - it was reminiscent of North Carolina fried seafood.  A nice crispy outside with chewy bits of clams on the inside.  I guess people fry seafood the same way regardless of where you are in America.  I wouldn't say the cake was a highlight or a favorite, but my thought process the whole time was, "I'm in Maine, I gotta eat it up!"

Close up shot of the chowder.  Nice chunks of potatoes with chewy clams in a creamy soup.  The clams were certainly tastier that what I was used to - simply fresher, as if it came straight from the sea - with all its wonderful salty flavor and chewy-yet-tender texture.  I really don't have a better way of describing it than that.  Even though the rest of the soup was comparable to what I'm used to back in NC, having fresh clams makes a huge difference.  Granted, I have a limited experience eating New England seafood, so I'm hoping that future encounters with sea creatures will broaden my horizons and give me more to base my culinary judgments on.


No comments:

Post a Comment